Wednesday, July 15, 2009

pick up your toys

This is my sister in laws story, but I thought it was a good idea and want my readers to read it and of course Im going to try it and let you know how it goes:)

I have been struggling to get Meg to clean up her toys forever. She always needs help, or cant do it, or its too hard! Well yesterday I was reading my parenting magazine and this mom had the coolest idea. The Pickup Fairy. I changed it up a bit to fit us better, but Meg is so into princesses and fairies and magical things I thought it would be perfect for her, and so far (one day) it has been great!Meet The Pickup Fairy- She is a grouchy fairy who lives in the woods and loves to come in the middle of the night and take toys that are not put away. She likes to give the toys to other kids in need. She always calls mom first and mom can say yes or no for her to come or not.Last night Meg didn't get her room cleaned, but she cleaned everything else so well that I thought it was a great start and would give her a break. I told her that when the pickup fairy called I would tell her to not pick up the toys in her room. She was happy and went to bed.This morning she was asking about the pickup fairy and I told her she better clean her room if she wants to keep her toys today because the pickup fairy wasn't going to let it be messy today. She said I better clean it right now! and she did! I was shocked that she was so willing to do it by herself that I thought it was time to introduce the Star Fairy.When I was younger my dad would leave us treats under our pillow and they would always be from the star fairy. I always wanted my kids to get treats the star fairy so I thought I would tie it into the pickup fairy story.Meet the Star Fairy- The Star Fairy is a nice fairy who is friends with the pickup fairy but wants to help the kids keep their toys so every once in a while (like once a month or so) she will sneak into the children's rooms and see if they are clean, and if they are, she will leave a reward under their pillow. I dont like giving my kids candy in the morning so I said reward so it could be something other then candy.Meg was so excited and wanted to look under her pillow right away so I had her run something downstairs while the star fairy came and put a reward under her pillow, she was so excited!anyway, it seems to be working really well for her and I am happy I don't have to pick up after her all the time. I will let you know if it continues to work.

0 comments: